Sometimes life gets in the way of our plans and I know for me, when that happens, I sometimes wish that I wasn’t an artist pursuing a creative life. Sometimes, I look at my kitty and think “man, you’ve got the life,” right?
It may sound silly, but getting Nessarose for my husband has really changed our lives. Even when you are home alone, having a little furry friend is sometimes all you need to keep you company. I probably baby her too much, but don’t worry I’m not turning into a crazy cat lady! 😉
Today I wanted to share a few things that I’ve learned from her. 🙂
1. Taking a nap is ok. As children we take daily naps, but how come they disappeared from our grown up lives? Sometimes we need to listen to our bodies and rest so that we can be more productive and in better spirits.
2. Spend at least 10-15 minutes outside everyday. Getting fresh air and a little sunshine is good for the heart and soul. So often we get so consumed in our busy schedules that we forget to breathe and appreciate the beauty of the world around us.
3. Don’t be afraid to say no, even if it might rub someone the wrong way. Nessa likes to be pet but sometimes for only a few moments. When she’s done, she will let you know with by pawing at you. Do I wish she would let me pet her more? Yes, but I need to respect her boundaries just like I want others to respect mine.
4. Be persistent. Sometimes it can be frustrating when you come across obstacles and roadblocks, but the more you put yourself out there the better your chances are of succeeding. You might get 10 no’s, but someone is bound to say yes at some point.
5. Don’t give up! The other night I woke up to the sound of Nessa meowing at the ceiling. I turned on the light and there was a spider up there that she wanted. I picked her up so she could get close to it and when it fell on the ground, she chased it under the bed. Now, do I want to chase spiders in the middle of the night? No. But having the mentality of “if there’s a will, there’s a way” will always get you far! I have dreams that I chase and a lot of times I want to give up, but I know that with hard work and determination, I will see them come true!
6. Speak gently and lovingly. It’s easy to say whatever it is you are thinking, but sometimes taking a moment to think about what you are going to say is better because words are powerful. I would rather say something that means something, rather than just to hear myself speak. I always want to be speaking life into people, not negativity or hurtful things.
7. Take time for yourself. So often we are trying to help others or complete our to do lists that we sometimes neglect ourselves. I know that for me, “me time” is at the bottom of the priority list, but taking the time to pamper yourself can help make you feel more confident and ready to take on the world. Plus, when we are taken care of, we can take better care of our loved ones. Sometimes playing a game or reading a good book can make me feel more inspired and creative!
8. Don’t complain about what you have been given. Every morning and night when it is feeding time, Nessa politely sits in front of her dish and eats her dinner. Luckily we don’t have to suffer through the same meal every day, but being thankful for what we do have is so important.
9. Dream big! Nessa can stare out the window almost all day. I always ask her what she is staring at and I’m sure it’s a bird or a bug or maybe even the cat across the way. All I do know is that she must be thinking about the great big world out there. It is ok to dream and to reach for the stars! There is so much out there for you, you just have to not be afraid to take it!
10. It’s ok to be afraid of the storm. The storms of life will come and go and even though it might terrify us, as long as we have someone to comfort us and reassure us that everything is going to be ok, we know it will be! Surround yourself with people who love and care about you and who genuinely want the best for you and lift you up instead of bring you down. Having that kind of support system can help you through anything life throws your way.
I hope this encourages you and that it will help you find ways to simplify your life a little. Also, as a side note, I guess I should mention that I didn’t actually learn these things from just my cat. She just reminds me of them when I watch her and think of her simplistic life.
I hope you are having a wonderful day! xoxo